|9oz (250) wholemeal flour||Approx 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg|
|6oz (175g) brown sugar (light or dark)||2 level teaspoons cinnamon|
|6 fl oz (175ml) sunflower oil||1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda|
|3 large eggs||11oz grated carrot|
|2 fl oz (55ml) soured cream||3oz (75g) desiccated coconut|
|2 teaspoon vanilla essence|
|For the topping:|
|4oz (110g) full fat cream cheese||2oz (50g) sifted icing sugar|
|2 oz unsalted butter||Juice of a small orange|
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C/300° F/Gas Mark 2
- Grease and line an 8inch square cake tin.
- Mix together the eggs, oil, vanilla essence and soured cream. Sieve in the sugar to avoid lumps. Beat until thoroughly smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, spices and soda.
- Combine the contents of both bowls carefully folding the dry ingredients into the wet. A metal spoon is good for this.
- Then fold in the carrots and coconut.
- Spoon into the tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 1½ - 2 hours.
- Leave in the tin to cool. Mix together the topping ingredients adding the orange juice carefully as the icing needs to be quite stiff.
- Spread thickly over the cake and leave to set.