Reflections from "Pew News"
IF YOU ARE NEW TO THIS CHURCH
OR A VISITOR
PLEASE DO MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN TO US.
Texts from the New International Version (NIV) Bible
You can make sure you are seeing the latest version of this page
by pressing F5 (you will find that on the top row of keys on most PCs)
to Refresh your view.
Collects and Readings
28th November 2021 - First Sunday of Advent
Collects and Readings
Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness and to put on the armour of light, now in the time of this mortal life, in which your Son Jesus Christ came to us in great humility; that on the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who is alive and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever.
Almighty God, as your kingdom dawns, turn us from the darkness of sin to the light of holiness, that we may be ready to meet you in our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
First Reading - 1 Thessalonians 3:9-13
9How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you? 10Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you again and supply what is lacking in your faith. 11Now may our God and Father himself and our Lord Jesus clear the way for us to come to you. 12May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. 13May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.
Gospel – Luke 21:25-36
- "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.
- People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken.
- At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
- When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”
- He told them this parable: "Look at the fig tree and all the trees.
- When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near.
- Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.
- "Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
- Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
- "Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap.
- For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth.
- Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.".
O Lord our God, make us watchful and keep us faithful as we await the coming of your Son our Lord; that, when he shall appear, he may not find us sleeping in sin but active in his service and joyful in his praise; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Readings for Sunday next week
5th December 2021 - 2nd Sunday of Advent
- Philippians 1:3-11
- Luke 3:1-6