Ingredients - serves 6
|1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil||1 garlic clove, crushed|
|2 carrots, diced||14oz (397g) can kidney beans, drained|
|2 medium onions, chopped||14oz (397g) can chopped tomatoes|
|8oz (225g) mushrooms, sliced||1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley|
|1 red pepper, diced||5oz (125g) wholemeal breadcrumbs|
|1 green pepper, diced||1 tablespoon sesame seeds|
|3 celery sticks, sliced||4oz (100g) mature cheddar, grated|
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Stir in carrots, onions, mushrooms, peppers, celery and garlic, cover and cook for 12-15 mins until vegetables are just tender.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans and season. Simmer gently for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in chopped parsley.
- In a clean bowl, mix together breadcrumbs, sesame seeds and grated cheese. Stir half of the mixture into the cooked vegetables and reserve the rest.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture into a shallow 3 pint (1.7litre) ovenproof dish. (Individual serving dishes can also be used, reduce cooking time by approx 5 mins.) Sprinkle reserved breadcrumbs on top.*
- Cook at 180ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4 for 20 mins until rich golden brown.
- Serve with crusty or garlic bread.
* Freeze at this point if required. Thaw thoroughly before use.