Ingredients - serves 8
|4oz (125g) butter, softened||2 tablespoons rum|
|4oz (125g) caster sugar||375g packet puff pastry|
|2 eggs (1 whole, 1 yolk)||1 egg, beaten for glazing|
|4oz (125g) ground almonds||A little icing sugar for dusting|
|½oz (15g) plain flour|
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, then gently stir in the ground almonds, flour and rum.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Half the pastry and roll out both pieces and cut out a 10 inch (25cm) circle from each.
- Roll out the trimmings and cut out several long strips about ½ inch (1cm) wide.
- Place one circle on a baking sheet and brush the outside edge with water. Lay the strips in a single layer around the edge to form a border.
- Spoon the almond mixture into the centre, piling higher in the middle.
- Brush the strips of pastry with water and place the second circle of pastry on the top.
- Press the edges down well and pinch with thumb and forefinger to make a decorative edge.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC(190ºC fan oven)/400ºF/Gas mark 6.
- Make a small hole in the centre of the pastry, then with the point of a sharp knife, score lines from the centre of the pastry to the edge (do not cut right through the pastry) to form wedge shapes.
- Brush all over with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 mins then remove from oven and dust with icing sugar. Return to the oven for a further 10 mins until the sugar is melted and the cake is golden brown.
- Serve the cake warm or cold