Ingredients - serve 6 to 8
|Victoria sponge cake, sliced||1 wine glass of sherry|
|¾lb (300g) raspberry jam||2 tablespoons of brandy or Drambuie|
|2 tablespoons treacle||¾lb (300g) raspberries, fresh or frozen|
|½ pint (250ml) double cream||1 tablespoon caster sugar|
|Flaked almonds, toasted|
|For the custard:|
|½ pint (250ml) milk||2 egg yolks|
|⅓ pint (150ml) double cream||2 oz (50g) caster sugar|
|Few drops of vanilla essence|
- Place the sponge in the base of a large glass bowl and spread with the raspberry jam.
- Mix the sherry and the brandy and sprinkle evenly over the sponge allowing it to soak in.
- Add a layer of raspberries.
- To make the custard, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence until pale and creamy.
- Heat the milk and cream together in a saucepan until boiling point then stir into the egg mixture.
- Once it is well blended, return to the pan and stir continuously over a low heat until the custard thickens.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When quite cool, pour the custard over the layer of fruit, spreading evenly.
- Whip the double cream, add sugar to sweeten and spoon on top of custard
- Decorate with toasted almonds.