Ingredients - serves 4
|2lb (900g) stewing lamb||1 heaped tablespoon flour|
|3 tablespoons vegetable oil||Salt and pepper|
|2 large onions, chopped||1 pint (600ml) Irish stout|
|6 carrots, chopped||¼ pint (150ml) beef stock|
|1 floury potato, chopped||2 bay leaves|
|1 tablespoon black treacle|
- Chop the lamb into 1½” (4cm) pieces.
- Heat the oil in an oven-proof casserole and brown the meat in batches and put to one side.
- Brown the chopped onion and carrots then add the flour and salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stout, beef stock, bay leaves and black treacle and bring to the boil stirring continuously.
- Return the meat to the casserole, cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at 170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3 for two hours. Stir after one hour.
My Official Taster recommends that this is served with mashed or baked potatoes.