Ingredients - serves 4
|For the Base:||For the Topping:|
|4oz (110g) ground almonds||1lb (450g) sprouts, washed and halved|
|4oz (110g) grated cheddar cheese||16 cherry tomatoes|
|6oz (175g) fresh white breadcrumbs||1 small red onion, finely sliced|
|2 cloves of garlic, crushed||A little olive oil|
|2 tablespoons olive oil||Sea salt|
- To make the base, combine the almonds, cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic and olive oil and mix to a crumbly dough.
- Press the dough into a greased 9 inch (23 cm) loose bottomed cake or flan tin. If you don’t have a tin you can form the dough into a circle on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 mins at 190ºC/375ºF/Gas mark 5.
- Meanwhile sauté the halved sprouts in a little olive oil and butter for 3 mins.
- Remove the base from the oven and arrange the sprouts and uncooked cherry tomatoes on top. Scatter the red onion over the top and drizzle the tart with a little olive oil and sprinkling of sea salt.
- Return to the oven for 10 mins (the tomatoes should be bursting).
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 for 1¼ hours or until firm.
- Cool in the tin, then turn out and slice as required.
And so another kitchen store cupboard year begins. The shelves are looking pretty bare after the chutneys, pickles, jams and fruit liqueurs were used up in Christmas hampers. I made some rather tasty new chutneys this year that I will share with you in their respective seasons.