|¼ pint (150ml) water||¼ pint (150ml) malt vinegar|
|2lb (900g) sugar||1 level teaspoon (1x5ml spoon) ground cinnamon|
|1 level teaspoon (1x5ml spoon) allspice||1 level teaspoon (1x5ml spoon) ground cloves|
|¼ teaspoon (1.25ml spoon) nutmeg||3lb (1.35kg) Rhubarb|
|1lb (450g) stoned raisins or sultanas|
- Put water, vinegar and sugar into a large saucepan/preserving pan.
- Tie spices in a muslin bag and add this to the pan.
- Simmer for about 20 mins.
- Remove bag of spices.
- Wash rhubarb and cut into 1 inch (2.5cm) lengths and add to the liquid with the raisins or sultanas.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 1½ hours or until thick.
- Spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal when cold.
- As an alternative you can stir in ½ tablespoon (7.5ml) of chopped fresh mint into the mixture when cool.