Ingredients - makes about 6lb
|3lb plums or damsons||1lb cooking apples|
|3 largish onions||3 garlic cloves|
|2 heaped teaspoons ground ginger||1lb seedless raisins|
|1lb dark soft brown sugar||1lb Demerara sugar|
|2 pints malt vinegar||2 cinnamon sticks|
|2 tablespoons salt||1oz allspice berries|
|1 dessertspoon whole cloves|
- Wash and dry fruit. Stone Plums or stew damsons and remove stones.
- Core and mince unpeeled apples and add to pan. Mince and add onions.
- Crush garlic and add with ginger, raisins the sugars and vinegar.
- Sprinkle in salt and stir thoroughly.
- Tie cinnamon sticks, allspice and clove into loosely formed muslin bag and hang from handle of pan.
- Bring everything to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring to prevent sticking to the bottom.
- When almost all the vinegar has disappeared and the chutney has thickened to a soft consistency, it is ready. It will thicken more when cooled.
- While still warm pout into washed, warmed and dry jars. Cover with waxed discs and seal with screw lids.
- Label when cold and store in a cool, airy cupboard. Leave to mellow for at least 3 months.
A food processor can be used instead of a mincer.