Ingredients - makes 24
|6oz (175g) caster sugar||6oz (175g) softened butter|
|The yolks of 3 medium eggs||1lb (450g) plain flour|
|Pinch of salt||3oz (75g) currants|
|1 teaspoon ground mixed spice or ground allspice||Small amount of warm milk|
- Heat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until fluffy and beat in the yolks.
- Sift the flour, salt and spice into the bowl and fold into the mixture along with the currants. Add sufficient warm milk to make a soft dough.
- Divide into 24 pieces, form into flat cakes and place on a greased baking sheet or baking parchment. Mark each biscuit with a cross.
- Bake for 10-15 mins or until golden brown.
These are particularly tasty eaten warm.