- 6 Seville oranges
- 1 bottle ruby Port
- 4oz (100g) sugar
- 30 Cloves
- 1 quart (1.1 litre) Portuguese red wine (or any strong red wine)
- Wash the oranges and bake them in a moderate oven (180°C/350°F,Gas mark 4) until they are pale brown (approx 30 mins).
- Put them into a warmed earthenware mixing bowl with five cloves pricked into each.
- Add the sugar and pour in the wine - not the Port.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for a day.
- Squeeze the oranges into the wine and pour it through a sieve.
If drinking immediately
- Add the Port and heat - but do not boil.
- Serve in warmed goblets and drink hot or pour into bottles and stand in a pan of simmering water, this keeps it hot and makes pouring easier.
- Pour into sterilised bottles and seal, omitting the port. When ready to use add port and heat as above or for Bishop’s Cup omit the port but fortify with a tot of orange brandy.