Ingredients - serves 8
|8oz (225g) plain flour||2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk|
|pinch of salt||1lb (450g) cherries, stoned|
|1oz (25g) cornflour||3oz (75g) ground almonds|
|4oz (100g) butter||few drops of almond essence|
|4oz (100g) icing sugar, plus an extra 2 teaspoons|
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6.
- Sift flour, salt, cornflour and the 2 teaspoons of icing sugar into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons cold water and stir to bind together.
- Knead lightly on a lightly floured surface, roll out and use to line a 9 inch (23cm) fluted flan tin.
- Bake blind for 10 - 15 mins, until the pastry is set.
- Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3.
- Arrange the cherries in the flan case.
- Mix together the remaining icing sugar, eggs, ground almonds and essence and beat well then pour over the cherries.
- Bake for 50 - 60 mins, until the top is firm and golden.
- Serve hot or cold.
This tart can be made with tinned cherries but I consider this sacrilege considering where we live. Buy local cherries in season, stone and freeze them then they are ready to enjoy all year round.