Ingredients - serves 6
|2¾-3lb (1.25kg-1.3kg) joint of lean beef brisket||2 tablespoons Demerara sugar|
|2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce||Salt and freshly milled black pepper|
|1 pint (600ml) mulled wine||2 bay leaves, roughly broken|
|4 whole cloves||4oz (100g) ready to eat figs, left whole or halved|
|10 black peppercorns||2 tablespoons sunflower oil|
|2 star anise||1lb (450g) leeks, roughly chopped|
|1 cinnamon stick, broken in half||6oz (175g) carrots, peeled and cut into chunks|
|4 small red onions, peeled and cut into quarters|
- Season the brisket with the salt and pepper and place in a large casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the spices, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, figs mulled and wine. Pour over the brisket and mix to coat the joint.
- Cover, refrigerate and marinate for approximately 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Remove the joint from the marinade (do not discard the marinade), pat dry and brown on all sides.
- Return the joint to the casserole dish with the marinade mix and the vegetables.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 30-40 mins per 1lb (450g), plus a further 30-40 minutes.
Serve with Yorkshire Puddings and mashed or roast potatoes.