|8 thick slices of day-old white bread||2 egg yolks|
|10 tablespoons milk||5oz (140g) butter|
|1 tablespoon caster sugar||A little cinnamon|
|1 tablespoon Madeira wine (or sherry)||A little caster sugar for dusting|
- Stir the sugar and Madeira into 8 tablespoons of the milk in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolks and the remaining milk into another shallow bowl.
- Trim the crusts off the bread and cut the slices in half.
- Warm the butter in a large frying pan then dip the bread firstly in the milk and Madeira mixture, drain slightly then dip in the egg and milk mixture.
- Pop the slices into the frying pan and cook until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove from the frying pan and place on a warmed plate and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon.
- These are great just as they are or with a little home-made jam. Scrumcious!
My ‘Official Taster’ tells me this dish reminded him of doughnuts. All I need now is a mug of hot chocolate, a roaring fire and a repeat of Midsomer Murders. Life doesn’t get any better.