Ingredients - serves 6
|1 lb (450g) yellow split peas||1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|2oz (50g) butter||½ teaspoon chilli powder|
|1 egg||Salt and pepper|
|2 teaspoons granulated sugar|
- Put the split peas in a pan and cover with 2 pints (1.1 lt) of water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the peas are soft (30 - 40 mins).
- Remove from the heat and mash to a purée.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon into a buttered 2 pint pudding basin.
- Cover with a lid of double thickness pleated greaseproof paper, then with a double thickness of pleated foil. Tie securely.
- Place in a large lidded saucepan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the basin.
- Cover the pan and steam for one hour, topping up with boiling water as needed.
- Turn out the pudding on to a plate.
This can be served with roast meats, sausages and of course faggots. Having now tried this recipe and tasted Pease Pudden again I have found that it also makes a very good accompaniment to another traditional British dish. Curry!