Ingredients - serves 6
|1¼lb (550g) chuck steak, cubed||5oz yellow split peas|
|Sprinkling of plain flour||½ small Swede
|Peeled and cubed
(appox ½inch/12mm cube)
|2 x tablespoons vegetable oil||2 x medium potatoes
|1 x 400g tin of beef mulligatawny soup||3 x medium Parsnips
|1 x 400g tin of oxtail soup||2 x large Carrots
|2 x Beef Oxo cubes||1 large onion, diced|
- Soak the split peas in water overnight.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan (In my kitchen, only the pressure cooker pan is big enough).
- Toss the chuck steak in the flour and brown in the saucepan.
- Add the mulligatawny and oxtail soups, and the Oxo cubes to the saucepan and stir well.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Cover saucepan and simmer for approx 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Alternatively (and more conveniently) after stage 5, transfer to a slow cooker and follow manufacturers instructions. I tend to prepare this in the evening and cook overnight in the slow cooker.
Serve with crusty bread or dumplings. This also freezes extremely well.