Microwave Plum or Damson Jam
General guidance on microwave preserves - roughly 1½lb finished quantities
- 1lb washed soft fruit
- 1lb caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon butter
(So far I have used this recipe for raspberries, tayberries, blackberries – also a mixed gooseberry and strawberry jam. The latter was a good flavour but the gooseberry skins can come out a bit tough.)
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl (I use a large pyrex mixing bowl so that it doesn’t boil over) and stir.
Microwave on High power for 5 minutes (10-15 minutes if using frozen fruit), stirring frequently. Continue to cook in one minute intervals if sugar is not dissolved. (I have only ever made the jam with frozen fruit and find that 10 minutes is fine – I use a 1000w (E) microwave). You will need to adjust your times if your microwave power is different.
- Ensure all sugar crystals are mixed down off the side of the bowl.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and continue to cook until setting point is reached – approx 15 – 25 mins. Test for setting point. (I have found that the jam has always reached setting point after 15 – 16 minutes. I always test on a plate that has been in the fridge for about 15 mins).
- Pot into warm jars. Cover with waxed paper and a jam pot cover.