|4 eating apples||
¼ teaspoon each of:-
|2 pints beer (I used Theakston's Old Peculiar)|
|1 pint dry cider|
|50g soft dark brown sugar|
|1 strip of lemon peel|
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Slit the skin round the centre of the apple (crab apples can be used if available). Put in a roasting dish and bake until soft and pulpy (approx 30mins).
- Put the ale, wine, spices and lemon rind into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Then simmer for 5 mins.
- Remove the apple flesh from the skins and core, then mash.
- Stir the apple pulp into the mixture and allow it to simmer for a minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and pour the mixture through a sieve, pressing the pulp down to remove as much of the liquid as possible.
- Reheat and add the sugar and stir until dissolved.