Ingredients - serves 6
|10oz (284g) stale Madeira cake||4 eggs|
|6oz (175g) mincemeat||2oz (50g) caster sugar|
|1 tablespoon brandy (optional)||2 drops vanilla essence|
|1 pint (600ml) full milk|
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas mark 3 and grease a 2 pint pudding basin.
- Cut the cake into slices and line the bottom and sides of the basin.
- If the mincemeat has become a bit dry, add the brandy and stir.
- Cover the bottom of the lined basin with a layer of mincemeat, followed by another layer of cake.
- Continue in layers, finishing with a sponge layer to make a lid for the pudding.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs together.
- Gently heat the milk in a saucepan. Do not boil.
- Pour over the beaten eggs, add the sugar and vanilla essence and stir.
- Put the mixture into the basin slowly, to allow it to soak through.
- Cover the basin with a tin foil lid and stand the basin in a dish with high sides. Pour hot water into the dish until it is half way up the basin.
- Put back in the centre of the oven for 2 hours or until the custard is set.
- Remove from the oven and turn on to a serving plate.
- Serve hot with cream.