Ingredients - Makes 8 x 3-inch round cakes
|8oz butter||5oz glacé cherries|
|8oz dark brown sugar||6oz raisins|
|1 tablespoons black treacle||9oz sultanas|
|5 large eggs||12oz currants|
|9oz plain flour||2oz ground almonds|
|1 teaspoon grated nutmeg||4oz chopped almonds|
|1 teaspoon mixed spice||4oz candied peel|
|Grated rind of 1 lemon||4 tablespoons brandy|
|Grated rind of 1 orange plus 2 tablespoons of the juice|
- Grease and line the bottom and sides of the 8 tins.
- Put the flour, butter, sugar, nutmeg, mixed spice and eggs into the food processor and blend well.
- Place the mixture into a large bowl and add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture between the 8 tins and tie brown paper (or newspaper) around each tin.
- Place on a baking tray and place in an oven pre-heated to 140°C/275°F/Gas Mark 1 for 2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 20mins before removing from the tins.
- Once completely cold, store wrapped in tin foil in an airtight tin.
I like to make these well in advance so they can have at least two feeds of brandy. When ready to pack for presents, top with a circle of marzipan and regal icing and the decoration of your choice.