Ingredients: 9-inch square cake tin
|4oz Lard||8oz medium oatmeal|
|4oz golden syrup||4 level tsps ground ginger|
|4oz black treacle||2 level tsps ground cinnamon|
|4oz sugar||1 tevel tsps bicarbonate of soda|
|8oz plain flour||1 egg, beaten|
|5 fl oz milk|
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/355°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a 9inch square cake tin.
- In a saucepan, melt the lard and add the syrup, treacle and sugar.
- Warm over a very low heat until the sugar begins to dissolve.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre.
- Gradually beat in the liquid and add the beaten egg. Add as much milk as is needed to form a soft consistency.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake towards the bottom of the oven for 1 - 1¼ hours.
- Allow to cool a little in the tin. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, wrap in tin foil and keep in an airtight container for at least a week.
[Cook’s note: This may require hiding the container, attaching an alarm, telling lies as to where you have hidden the cake or other methods of subterfuge. My Official Taster felt it necessary to try a slice everyday to ensure that the quality did not pass the optimum.
To serve (if there is any left after a week!), cut into slices and butter.