|14oz (400g) shop bought highland shortbread||2½oz (70g) plain flour|
|6oz (170g) Demerara sugar||Pinch of baking powder|
|3 level teaspoons ground ginger||1½oz (40g) golden syrup|
|1½oz (40g) crystalised ginger, chopped||1½oz (40g) black treacle|
|1½oz (40g) mixed peel, chopped||2½oz (70g) unsalted butter|
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Put shortbread, sugar and 2 teaspoons of ground ginger into a food processor and process to crumbs.
- Reserve 3½oz (100g) of the mixture.
- Add the remaining ground ginger, mixed peel, crystallised ginger, flour and baking powder to the processor and pulse until well mixed.
- Melt the syrup, treacle and butter in a saucepan that is large enough to take all ingredients.
- When melted, add the mixture from the processor and mix thoroughly.
- Turn in to a lightly greased Swiss roll tin and press down with a spatula (or a potato masher works well) until dense and flat.
- Put in to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the reserved crumbs over the top and press down firmly .
- Cut into good size pieces with a sharp knife and leave to cool in the tray.
This can be frozen but it is at its very best on the day of baking.