|3lb (1.35kg) green gooseberries.||1lb (450g) onions|
|8oz (225g) stoned raisins or sultanas||1oz (25g) cooking salt|
|¼ teaspoon (1.25ml spoon) turmeric||½ teaspoon (2.5ml spoon) cayenne pepper|
|12oz (350g) soft brown sugar||1 pint (500ml) white wine vinegar|
|1 level teaspoon (1x5ml spoon) ground ginger||¼ oz (6g) mustard seed|
- Wash, top and tail gooseberries and put in a large saucepan/preserving pan.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and add to the pan with all the other ingredients except the mustard seeds.
- Bruise the mustard seed and tie in a muslin bag.
- Add this to the pan and stir well.
- Heat very gently, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved.
- Then bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1½ - 2 hours or until chutney is thick. Stirring from time to time.
- Remove the muslin bag and pour the mixture into warm sterilised jars.
- Cover and store for several months.