|4 oz (100g) self-raising flour||1 tsp baking powder|
|4 oz (100g) soft margarine||4 oz (100g) caster sugar|
|2 eggs, beaten||2 tbsp golden syrup|
|2 tbsp cocoa powder||2 tbsp warm water|
- Grease and line 2 x 7” (18cm) sandwich tins.
- Put flour and baking powder into the bowl and pulse to mix.
- Mix the golden syrup, cocoa powder and warm water to a paste and add to the bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and process until smooth and glossy.
- Spread into the prepared tins and bake for 30mins at
- 190°/375°/Gas Mark 5.
- When cooked, cool for 10 mins and then turned out onto a wire rack.
- If you wish to freeze this cake, at this stage stand the layers on top of
each other with greaseproof paper separating them.
- Do not fill them until at this stage.
For fillings see section on Butter Icings Page.