Ingredients - serves 6
|4oz (115g) plain flour||2 large eggs|
|½ teaspoon ground mixed spice||2 pints (1.1litre) full cream milk|
|¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg||1oz (25g) butter|
|4oz (115g) black treacle||3 fluid ounces (75ml) cold water|
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and butter a deep baking dish. (I used a 9½inch x 7inch x 3inch deep earthenware dish.)
- Sift the flour and spices into a mixing bowl and stir in the treacle.
- Beat the eggs with a little of the milk and beat into the mixture.
- Heat the rest of the milk in a pan until boiling and pour into the flour mixture, stirring well.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared dish and dot with the butter.
- Pour the cold water into the middle of the dish but do not stir it in.
- Bake for one hour, or until the pudding has separated into a jelly at the base and a custard on the top.
Allow to cool for at least 10 mins before serving. The mixture will set more as it cools.