Ingredients - make 16 large biscuits
|4oz (100g) butter||4oz (100g) caster sugar|
|8oz (225g) plain flour||4 tablespoons golden syrup|
|½ teaspoon salt||2oz (50g) Emmental cheese, grated|
|2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda||2 teaspoons mixed spice|
|3 teaspoons ground ginger||1 teaspoon cinnamon|
- Sieve together the flour, salt, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Rub in the butter until the consistency of coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Spoon the golden syrup into a heatproof bowl and stand in shallow water in a saucepan.
- Heat gently until the syrup thins.
- Pour the liquid syrup on the other ingredients and work in thoroughly.
- Flour your hands and roll the mixture into small balls (the mixture should make around 16 biscuits).
- Place on a baking tray covered in baking parchment, making sure they are well spaced out.
- Bake in the top of the oven at 200°C/400F°/Gas Mark 6, for approx 10 mins moving the biscuits to the bottom shelf of the oven the moment they begin to brown. (Note: I set my oven to “convection” rather then “fan” and the biscuits took 6 mins to start to brown.)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool and harden before removing from baking parchment.