Ingredients - makes 3½lbs (1.6kg)
|50 g blanched almonds||100g candied peel|
|1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and chopped into large chunks||50g stem ginger, plus two tablespoons of syrup from the jar|
|50g glacé cherries||50g ready-to-eat dried pineapple|
|225g sultanas||225g raisins|
|225g currants||140g shredded suet|
|225g light muscavado sugar||¼ teaspoon ground ginger|
|¼ teaspoon mixed spice||¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg|
|Grated zest and juice of one orange||150ml brandy or dark rum|
- Fix the chopping attachment to your food processor.
- Place almonds, peel, apple, ginger, cherries and pineapple in the bowl and pulse until chopped. Don’t let the mixture go mushy.
- Tip the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- By degrees, using the processor, pulse in the sultanas, raisins, and currants until just chopped a little then add these to the mixing bowl.
- Add the suet, sugar and spices to the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pour the ginger syrup, orange juice, zest and alcohol into the mixture and stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into sterilised jars and keep until needed.