|1lb strong white flour, warmed||1 teaspoon dried yeast|
|½ pint milk||½ pint clotted or double cream|
|1½ oz butter||Raspberry jam|
|½ oz caster sugar||Icing sugar for dusting|
- Heat the milk and butter together to blood temperature.
- Add the sugar and sprinkle on the yeast.
- Leave for 15—20 mins in a warm place until frothy.
- Sieve the warmed flour into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the flour and pour in the milk mixture and work into a dough.
- Knead on a floured board for about 5 mins until the dough is smooth.
- Place in bowl and cover in clingfilm in a warm place until it has doubled in size.
- Knock back and knead again then divide into 12 balls and leave to prove on a baking tray until doubled in size again.
- Bake in an oven pre-heated to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 for 15-20 mins.
- When cold, cut diagonally two thirds of the way through the bun. Open gently and spread with jam then fill with a good dollop of the cream. Dust with icing sugar.
Just writing out the recipe has made me hungry. Sadly my clotted cream days are behind me. Oh OK! Perhaps just one!
See you at Cherry Day.