Ingredients - serves 6 to 8
|For the pastry:||For the filling:|
|4oz (115g) butter, diced||3 large eggs|
|6oz (175g) plain flour||8oz (225g) soft light brown sugar|
|2 tablespoons icing sugar||5fl oz (150ml) golden syrup|
|Pinch of salt||2oz (50g) butter|
|Yolk of one large egg, beaten with 1¼ tablespoons water||1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|6oz (175) cranberries|
|4oz (115g) pecan nuts, roughly chopped|
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 9-10 inch (23-25cm) flan tin or pie dish.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the salt and sugar, the add the egg and water then mix until the ingredients are bound together.
- Wrap in cling-film and chill for an hour in the fridge.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, golden syrup, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the cranberries and pecans.
- Roll out the dough on a floured board and line the tin or pie dish.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case and bake for 40-45 mins until golden.
- Cool in the tin.
This dessert really does have the look and taste of Christmas about it.