|2lb 4oz (1kg) Bramley apples||1 teaspoon peppercorns|
|1lb 2oz (550g) eating apples||1lb 2oz (500g) granulated sugar|
|1lb (450g) onions||9fl oz (250ml) cider vinegar|
|2oz (50g) fresh root ginger||1lb 2oz (500g) cranberries|
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan place the apples, peeled, cored and chopped into large chunks.
- Add the onions, peeled and sliced.
- Grate in the ginger and add all the other ingredients, except the cranberries.
- Heat gently and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 50 mins, stirring regularly until the apples and onions are tender.
- When the mixture has thickened and there are or watery juices, add the cranberries and cook for around 10 mins until the berries soften but have not burst.
- Remove from the heat and spoon the hot chutney into sterilised, warmed jars, and seal.
This chutney keeps for 6 months and should be stored in the fridge once opened.