|3lbs (1350g) plums||1lb (450g) of apples (cored but not skinned). Chopped fine|
|1 lb (450g) onions chopped fine||10½ ozs (300g) dried apricots (chopped at least into eight)|
|7 ozs (200g) dried raisins||1lb (450g) of soft brown sugar|
|2 large cloves of garlic chopped fine||¼ tsp of cayenne pepper|
|2 tsp of salt||1 tsp of allspice powder|
|1 tsp cinnamon powder||1 tsp ground ginger|
|1½ pints (750 ml) of white wine vinegar||1 small hot chilli|
|2 tsp of balsamic vinegar||5 juniper berries|
|10 black peppercorns|
- Stone the plums and if big enough cut into slices.
- Chop the apples, onions, raisins and apricots.
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy bottomed saucepan and bring slowly to a gentle boil. Turn the heat down immediately and simmer very gently (tiny bubbles just breaking the surface on the lowest heat) for approx 2½ hours until the mixture has broken down and thickens.
- Stir from time to time and more towards the end. The chutney will thicken as it cools.
- When ready pour into sterilised jars and cover with plastic lined metal lids