Ingredients - serves 4 to 6
|1 packet puff pastry||4 rasher smoked back bacon|
|A little butter for greasing||Freshly ground black pepper|
|12 oz (350g) strong cheddar cheese||1 beaten egg|
|1 large sweet onion|
- Grease a 9 inch (20cm) pie plate.
- Roll out the pastry to a size that enables you to line the plate and make a lid.
- Grate the cheese and the onion (alternatively the onion can be finely sliced) and lay into the pie.
- Season with the black pepper then wet the edge of the pastry liner and lay the lid on the top, sealing the edges well. * (see note below)
- Brush the top with the beaten egg and make two vent holes.
- Stand on a baking tray and place in the oven pre-heated to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for 35 mins.
* The pie can be frozen at this stage
Allow the pie to cool slightly before serving, or serve it cold. Served cold it makes a good picnic dish.