Ingredients - serves 6 to 8
|20oz (560g) shortcrust pastry (it's Christmas, buy ready made and give yourself a break)|
|8oz (225g) chopped cold turkey||4 heaped tablespoon chopped parsley|
|6oz (175g) chopped cold ham||¼ pint (150ml) leftover gravy|
|8oz (225g) fresh sausage meat||6 heaped tablespoons cranberry sauce|
|1 beaten egg|
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C (fan oven)/425°F/Gas mark 7.
- Mix the turkey, ham, sausage meat, parsley and gravy in a large bowl.
- Roll out half the pastry to line a 10inch (25cm) pie dish.
- Pour in and spread out half the meat mixture and cover with the cranberry sauce. Add the remaining meat mixture.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to form a lid. Brush the edges of the pastry base with the beaten egg and cover with the pastry lid.
- Seal the edge and make a vent hole.
- Brush the pie with beaten egg and cook for 1 hour.
- Allow the pie to cool completely, then slice and serve with salad and pickles.
I had been meaning to try out this recipe for about three years. I wish I had tried it sooner as it was a real success. Before this, the leftover meat was always added to a raised game pie. This is far less hassle and just as tasty.