Ingredients - makes 12
|3½ oz (110g) plain flour||1 large (1 medium) egg|
|½ oz (15g) good quality cocoa powder||½ pint (300ml) milk|
|1 tablespoon caster sugar||A little light vegetable oil|
|About 2oz (50g) of good quality dark chocolate
(at least 70% cocoa)
|A little icing sugar for dusting|
- Sift the flour, cocoa and sugar together into a mixing jug.
- Beating in the egg and milk.
- Heat the oven to 220°c/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Preheat a bun tin with a little vegetable oil in each cup.
- When the oil is hot, pour in the batter and add 4 or 5 chocolate chips in the centre of each pudding.
- Bake until risen and firm (about 12 minutes).
- Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Fresh cream or ice cream goes well with this dessert.
When my Official Taster smells these cooking there is always a frisson of excitement. Then he finds out I am cooking this version of chocolate pud and not his favourite rich version. Life’s full of disappointments but it didn’t stop him wolfing them down!