Ingredients - serves 6
|2lb stewing steak||2 teaspoons allspice|
|Seasoned flour||Salt and freshly ground pepper|
|2oz dripping||8oz potatoes, peeled and finely sliced|
|2oz celery, chopped||15fl oz beef stock|
|4oz pitted black olives, chopped||1oz melted butter|
|8oz shallots, peeled and chopped|
- Pre-heat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3
- Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes and dust with seasoned flour.
- Brown the meat in the dripping, remove from the pan and fry the celery and onions lightly.
- Put a layer of onions and celery in a casserole dish, sprinkle with allspice, salt and pepper; add some of the chopped olives, cover with a layer of meat and a thin layer of potatoes.
- Repeat these layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Brush with melted butter and add enough stock to come just below the top layer of potatoes.
- Cover with a lid and cook in the oven for one and a half hours. Remove the lid and continue cooking to brown the potatoes for another hour.