Ingredients - serves 6
|500g sweet red cherries, stoned *||A few strips of lemon peel|
|150g caster sugar||1 tbsp of cornflour|
|300ml water||4-5 tbsp cherry brandy or kirsch|
|Vanilla Ice cream or Greek yogurt||Vanilla Ice cream or Greek yoghurt|
* Never soak cherries! Clean under running water and dry
- Put the water, sugar and lemon peel into a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cherries and simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are tender.
- Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and continue to simmer and reduce the syrup to its original level.
- Dilute the cornflour with a little water, stir into the simmering syrup and simmer gently for a couple of minutes.
- Return the cherries to the syrup and keep them warm.
- Chill some serving bowls in the fridge or freezer. When you're ready to serve, scoop the ice cream or yogurt into the iced bowls.
- Make sure everyone's watching. Then bring the cherries to the boil, warm the alcohol in another pan and set light to it with a match and pour onto the cherry sauce.
- Spoon that over the ice cream. If the flame goes out just heat some more alcohol and add to the sauce again.