Ingredients - serves 2
|"Cheese Pudding (NHS Style)"|
|½ pint full cream milk||Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg|
|2 large eggs, separated||2½oz fresh white breadcrumbs|
|Knob of butter||4oz mature cheddar cheese|
|¼ teaspoon mustard powder||Salt and pepper|
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Butter an oval oven-proof dish.
- Gently warm the milk in a saucepan then beat in the egg yolks.
- Take off the heat and dissolve the butter in the milk then add the mustard and nutmeg.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, most of the cheese and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cook for 30 minutes until risen and golden brown.
Fight over who gets the scrapings of the bowl! Well, we do!