Ingredients - serves 10
|For the pastry:|
|4oz (100g) butter, cubed||1oz (25g) icing sugar, sifted|
|8oz (200g) plain flour||1 egg, beaten|
|For the filling:|
|4 eggs||8oz (200g) caster sugar|
|2 large Bramley apples||2 dessert apples|
|2 lemons, rind and juice only, grated||1oz (5g) Demerara sugar|
|4oz (100g) butter, melted|
- Sift together the flour and the icing sugar and rub the butter in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the beaten egg and bring together to form a dough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill for about 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface and line a round 10inch (26cm) x 1½inch (3.5cm deep) flan tin. Form a lip around the edge. Chill for a further 30 minutes while making the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Beat the eggs, caster sugar, lemon rind and juice together in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the warm melted butter.
- Peel and coarsely grate the Bramley apples directly into the mixture and mix well.
- Remove the tart from the fridge and spread the runny lemon mixture over the base.
- Level the surface with the back of a spoon and arrange.
- Peel the dessert apple and slice thinly.
- Arrange over the top of the flan mixture overlapping the slices to cover the mixture.
- Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar.
- Put on a heavy baking tray and bake in the oven for about 40-50 minutes until the centre feels firm to the touch and the apples are tinged brown.
- Allow to cool for a while before serving or serve cold. Serve with cream, ice cream or on its own.