Ingredients - serves 8
|For the Base||For the Topping|
|4oz (100g) plain flour||1½lb (700g) Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced|
|2oz (50g) of butter||1 tablespoon butter|
|2oz (50g) golden caster sugar||2 tablespoons golden caster sugar|
|2oz (50g) ratafias (or amaretti biscuits), crushed||½ teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|A few flaked almonds|
- To make the base, melt the butter, mix in the other base ingredients and blend together until it has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- Tip the mixture into a 9 inch (23cm) loose-bottomed flan tin, even it over the tin and press it down firmly.
- Arrange the sliced apples over the top of the base.
- Melt the butter and brush over the apple.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top.
- Bake in an oven pre-heated to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6.
August sees us entering the period of village events (Cherry Day, Fete etc) where I am sure your contributions of home bakes will be very much appreciated. Don’t forget if you have a favourite recipe I am always happy to add it to the growing list in the Cookery Book.