Ingredients - serves 6
|1 small onion, peeled and chopped||2 oz (50g) ground almonds|
|2 sticks celery, chopped||Salt and pepper|
|½ oz (10g) butter||1 tablespoon double cream|
|2 pints (1.1 litres) hot chicken stock||Chopped parsley for garnish|
|1lb (450g) Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced|
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the onion and celery. Cook gently until both are soft but not browned.
- Add the stock, apples and ground almonds to the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently for about an hour.
- Allow to cool a little then liquidise the soup.**
- Return to the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the double cream and reheat the soup (do not allow it to boil).
- Serve and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.
** The soup can be frozen at this point (before adding the cream)