Ingredients - serves 8
|2lb (1kg) parsnips||2oz (50g) chopped walnuts|
|1lb (450g) Bramley apples||2 tablespoons single cream|
|Grated rind and juice of ½ lemon||2 tablespoons port|
|2 tablespoons caster sugar||3 eggs, separated|
|1 tablespoon brown sugar||Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- Peel the parsnips and chop into large chunks.
- Cook in boiling salted water until the parsnip is soft. Drain well.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Place in a saucepan along with 1 tablespoon of water and the lemon juice and rind.
- Cover and cook gently for 10 mins, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and beat in the caster sugar.
- Put the drained parsnip into a liquidiser and puree.
- Blend in the apple puree. This mixture can be refrigerated for one day or frozen for one month at this point.
- Blend in the brown sugar, walnuts, cream, port and egg yolks and beat until well mixed and smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff enough to form peaks and fold gently into the mixture.
- Butter a large soufflé dish and pour in the mixture.
- Bake in the centre of the oven at 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6 for 25 mins.