Ingredients - makes approximately 6 jars
|3 unwaxed lemons||4lb (1.8kg) sugar|
|4lb (1.8kg) Bramley apples||2oz (50g) fresh root ginger|
|4oz (100g) crystallised ginger, chopped|
- Finely pare the lemon rind and squeeze out the juice.
- Put the juice and 1½ pts (850ml) water into a preserving pan.
- Peel and bruise the root ginger and place along with the apple cores, lemon rind and a little of the apple peel, in a tied muslin or cheesecloth bag.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for ½ hour.
- Remove the muslin bag and squeeze out the liquid.
- Add the sugar and the ginger and stir gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil rapidly for about 15 minutes, or until jam setting temperature is reached.
- Pot and seal.
This jam has become a family favourite and just when I thought I had plenty in stock, it has all been shared out. Oh well! Actually I think sharing recipes and their results is one of the joys of cooking.