|2oz (50g) good quality plain chocolate (plus a little for grating)||Few drops of vanilla or almond essence|
|1 pint full fat milk||2oz (50g) sugar|
|1 dessertspoon of finely grated orange rind||4 fl oz (120ml) water|
|A little single or double cream||1 cinnamon stick|
- Melt the chocolate in a basin over hot water (or carefully in the microwave).
- Put the sugar, milk, water, cinnamon stick, essence and orange rind in a saucepan and heat slowly, stirring continuously to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the hot melted chocolate into the saucepan and stir well to mix.
- Bring to boiling point and, stirring all the time, simmer for several minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick. (You may like to serve by pouring through a tea strainer if you don’t want the grated orange in the cup.)
- Just before serving, stir in a little cream and grate a sprinkle of chocolate on the top.
For the adults in the group, yes you can add alcohol!