Ingredients - serves 6
|2 tablespoons olive oil||2 cloves garlic|
|1lb 9oz (680g) Braising steak, cubed||1 tablespoon plain flour|
|1 large onion, peeled and chopped||½ pint (300ml) ginger beer|
|3 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks||½ pint (300ml) good beef stock|
|6oz (175g) swede, peeled and cut into chunks||2 tablespoons tomato purée|
|6oz (175g) parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks||2 bay leaves|
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160° Fan/375°F/Gas Mark 4.
- In a lidded flameproof and ovenproof casserole, heat the oil and brown the meat in batches. Remove from casserole and set to one side.
- Put the onion, carrots, swede, parsnips and garlic in the casserole and cook gently for about 8 mins.
- Return the beef to the mixture and sprinkle the flour over the top.
- Cook for a further minute then add the ginger beer, tomato purée, stock and bay leaf.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
The Official Taster is still not talking to me as I didn’t go for the Chocolate Celebration Week. It was for his own good!