|5oz (150g) good quality chocolate, preferably the Belgian 70% cocoa solids||5oz (150g) butter|
|2 medium eggs||8oz (250g) muscavado sugar|
|4oz (125g) self raising flour||2oz (60g) chopped walnuts|
|4-5 tablespoons Scotch whisky|
- Grease and line with baking parchment the bottom of an 8” (20cm) loose bottom cake tin.
- Break up the chocolate into a small bowl, add the butter and put in a microwave oven or over a pan of hot water until just melted. Stir until smooth. Allow to cool.
- Whisk eggs and sugar well in a large bowl. Add the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour, then the nuts and mix well.
- Pour into the tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven at 180°/350°/Gas Mark 4 for 40-45 mins, until set on top but moist inside (it will sink a little once you take it out of the oven).
- Leave cake to cool in the tin for 15 mins, then take out of the tin, remove the baking parchment and put on a plate.
- Spoon the whisky over the cake and leave overnight. (This cake is actually improves overnight – if you have the willpower to leave it alone.)
If you want to freeze this cake wrap, when cool wrap the cake (without the whisky) in cling film and then in a freezer bag. Thaw at room temperature. Use within one month.